How Low-Intensity Shockwave Therapy Works
September 14, 2023
If you are one of the millions of men in the United States suffering from erectile dysfunction (ED) or Peyronie’s disease (PD), you are not alone. In fact, studies suggest that 1 in 10 men suffer from ED and that number increases with age. Although the number of PD cases diagnosed are less, researchers estimate that the actual number of men who suffer from the disease could be more.
But there's good news. Low intensity shockwave therapy (LiSWT) may be able to help. Shockwave therapy uses sound waves to breakup plaque and improve blood flow in the penis, resulting in stronger and better-quality erections. LiSWT has been used for years in other medical fields, and now doctors are harnessing its potential as a treatment for ED and Peyronie's symptoms.
Now is the time to say goodbye to frustrating limitations in the bedroom and hello to improved sexual performance and a better quality of life. LiSWT is a safe and proven method that has been used for years in medical practices, including breaking up kidney stones and promoting a quicker recovery from orthopedic injuries. The procedure itself is comfortable and well-tolerated by patients.
At GAINSWave Jacksonville, our goal is to restore functionality and bring back the good times. Since proper blood flow is essential for sexual arousal and performance, Dr. Earl Eye and his staff start by documenting your medical history and performing a comprehensive men’s sexual health examination to get to the root cause of your erectile issues.
New treatment options for erectile issues...
Although there are tried-and-true treatments for erectile dysfunction, like penile implant surgery and short-acting medications (PDE5 inhibitors), shockwave regenerative therapy offers a safe treatment for improving blood flow to the penis for stronger erections. The same approach can also provide relief for certain Peyronie's symptoms, such as painful curvature due to a buildup of penile plaque and scar tissue.
“The good news is there are effective treatments available like low-intensity shock wave therapy,” says Dr. Earl Eye a board-certified physician who specializes in men’s sexual health care and age-management medicine. “Ideal candidates are men with mild to moderate Peyronie’s disease and those with vasculogenic ED who have had some success with medications or other treatments.”
Medications are often the first choice, but as technology evolves, new therapies like LiSWT are gaining popularity, especially with men who do not like relying on medications. Shockwave therapy can show visible results in just a few months, with many patients experiencing long-lasting benefits. It involves using a wand-like device to deliver gentle shockwaves to the penis to promote the growth of new blood vessels and stem cells.
Regenerative Treatments to Revitalize Sexual Health
If you're suffering from ED or other conditions that can be treated with low intensity shockwave therapy, regenerative treatment sessions are relatively short and typically last between 15 to 20 minutes. A treatment course is usually 6 to 12 sessions over 6 weeks, with a majority of patients reporting improvement in their symptoms after completing the full cycle. During the treatment, acoustic sound waves increase blood circulation to the affected area, breaking down fibrous scar tissue and promoting tissue regeneration.
Low-Intensity extracorporeal shockwave therapy offers many benefits for treating erectile dysfunction and mild to moderate cases of Peyronie’s disease, such as:
1) No Medications – While ED medications can temporarily improve erectile function, they can be expensive, cannot provide a permanent solution, and simply don’t work well for all men or certain situations.
2) Non Invasive Relief – Say goodbye to poor penile blood flow with a drug-free, non-surgical, non-invasive solution. Implant surgery and arterial revascularization are invasive treatment options; but LiSWT is not.
3) Same Day Office Procedure – GAINSWave™ therapy is a series of same-day, in-office treatments that use pulsed acoustic waves to break up micro-plaque, open existing blood vessels and promote new tissue growth.
4) No Anesthesia or Pain Pills – Don't let ED or PD hold you back any longer. Extracorporeal low-intensity shockwave therapy is not uncomfortable and patients typically do not require pain relief or anesthesia.
5) No Risky Side Effects – Though it may sound painful, most people only experience mild discomfort. Complaints include soreness, redness or bruising but there are no major restrictions following a treatment session.
6) Long Lasting Regenerative Therapy – Shockwave therapy jump starts your body by releasing growth factors into penile tissue to increase blood flow, reduce inflammation, and boost new blood vessel formation.
Regenerative therapies have the power to transform traditional treatment approaches. Extracorporeal low-intensity shockwave therapy has been used for decades to break up scar tissue and promote healing in the body. Today, it is being successfully used to treat conditions like erectile dysfunction, Peyronie's curvature, and pelvic pain. This non-invasive treatment option is particularly recommended for patients who do not respond well to medication or prefer to avoid invasive surgical treatments.
It's time to take control of your sexual health and regain confidence in the bedroom. So don't let erectile dysfunction or Peyronie's disease hold you back any longer. Low-intensity shockwave therapy is a viable treatment option. Schedule your appointment today and find out if shockwave therapy is right for you.