Could Your Diet Be Sabotaging Your Sex Life?
July 28, 2023
If you want better performance in the bedroom, what you eat can play a major role in both sexual desire and erectile function.
A poor diet can lead to health issues. Moreover, your food choices can negatively affect your libido and your penis. Chronic health problems like obesity and type 2 diabetes are often related to bad eating habits and have been directly linked to erectile dysfunction (ED). So, eating poorly is about more than just a bulging waist.
Studies suggest high blood sugar levels can hinder blood flow to the penis, making it difficult to have and maintain an erection suitable for intercourse. Diets that are high in unhealthy fats, added sugars, and too much salt can worsen symptoms of declining sexual health and loss of desire.
On the other hand, if you’re looking to up your game, a healthy diet and exercise regimen can restore energy levels, increase blood flow, and even boost your body’s production and release of important male sex hormones. Diets high in saturated fats, trans fats, and cholesterol can contribute to cardiovascular diseases and lead to hardening of the arteries. Moreover, an inadequate intake of key nutrients is a culprit for low libido.
But, don’t despair... small lifestyle changes can make a big difference!
Since the foods you eat play a pivotal role in your stamina, blood flow, and hormonal balance, it is important to incorporate more nutrient-dense whole foods into your diet and exercise regularly to naturally raise testosterone levels and improve your sexual performance. Replacing highly processed foods loaded with fats, salt and sugars with healthier food choices also prevents blood sugar crashes, feelings of fatigue, and elevated cholesterol levels that could limit blood flow to the penis.
On the flip side, starving yourself to shed unwanted pounds by following a highly restrictive diet is a known cause of hypogonadism, or low-testosterone production. Although Low-T is usually not the only cause of erectile issues, lower levels of the male sex hormone is associated with a loss of desire and a man’s overall health and well-being. Just like a good workout in the gym, your sexual performance in the bedroom requires strength, stamina, endurance, and desire.
Tips for Preserving Your Sexual Health
If you often feel fatigued and have lost sexual desire, it could be a sign of hormonal imbalance. That suggests it may be time to clean up your diet. Eating whole foods that are high in fiber can be beneficial for hormone production, weight management, and improved gut health. Adopting a healthy lifestyle reduces inflammation and improves circulation. Listed below are five tips for preserving your health, such as:
1) Manage Your Sweet Tooth – Indulging your sweet tooth too much can reduce the production and release of testosterone hormone, which lowers your libido. Similar to overconsumption of processed foods, empty carbs, and sugary drinks, alcohol abuse can cause you to lump on the pounds, impact sleep patterns, and trigger depression.
2) Be Physically Active – It’s not surprising that the same lifestyle habits needed for good heart health and the prevention of chronic diseases like diabetes also improve a man’s sexual desire and performance in the bedroom. Including cardio and strength training with heavy weights can naturally improve hormonal imbalances.
3) Boost Testosterone Levels – Although lower levels of testosterone are commonly associated with aging, it is seldom the primary cause of erectile dysfunction. But, it can lower a man’s desire. It might surprise you but getting enough sleep, cutting down on sugar consumption, and adding resistance training can improve testosterone levels in short order.
4) Limit Your Alcohol Intake – Whereas an extra shot at the bar may lessen your inhibitions and trigger your best pickup lines, there is real-world science behind the dreaded “whiskey dick”. Rather than boosting sexual performance, excessive alcohol consumption often leads to problems in maintaining an erection.
5) Stop Smoking or Vaping – Studies have shown that smoking cigarettes or vaping nicotine can have a negative impact on a man’s sexual performance by reducing blood flow to the penis. Smoking also reduces sexual enjoyment by decreasing sensitivity in the genitals, which increases a man’s risk for experiencing erectile issues.
Proper blood flow is essential for sexual arousal and performance. Diets high in saturated fats and added sugars contribute to cardiovascular diseases like atherosclerosis that hinders blood flow to the penis and lessens desire. If you are struggling with issues in the bedroom and want to ramp up your sex life, it may be a good time to rethink your daily eating and exercise habits as well as schedule an appointment with a doctor who specializes in men’s sexual health.
It's important to remember that sex drive varies from person to person. But erectile function is a treatable male health condition. At GAINSWave Jacksonville, we understand that it can be embarrassing to talk to your doctor about your sex life, but it is the quickest way for us to help restore your intimacy. With decades of experience, Dr. Earl Eye can identify what is causing your problem and personalize treatment solutions and lifestyle interventions based on your body’s unique needs.